Recipe Courtesy of Fraser Allen
- 1 orange, thinly sliced with peel
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, halved and smashed
- 2 1/4 pounds skirt steak
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup light-colored (lager) beer
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
Method: (serves 4)
- In a wide, shallow glass baking dish, scatter half of the orange slices, half of the onion slices and half of the garlic pieces on the bottom of the dish.
- Sprinkle the steak all over with salt and pepper and put in the dish on top of the orange and onion slices.
- Scatter the remaining orange, onion and garlic over the steak and pour in the beer and soy sauce.
- Cover with plastic wrap and marinate for 1 hour at room temperature or up to overnight in the refrigerator. Longer time is better!
- Prepare a barbeque on medium-high heat or preheat a broiler.
- Remove the meat from the marinade and discard the marinade. Grill the steak for as long as you desire, about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare.
- Note: Grilled skirt steak sliced into strips is a great filling for tacos or using fajita-style. Top with shredded cheese and beans, or use your favorite taco filling!