Courtesy of Bhavesh Patel
Serves 4 as a starter
- 1 cos lettuce, washed and separated into individual leaves
- 3 garlic cloves, grated or minced
- 1 inch ginger, grated or minced
- 1 hot chili, finely chopped
- 1 cup button or chestnut mushrooms, chopped finely
- 1 cup baby corn, cut into small pieces
- 1 tin bamboo shoots, finely chopped
- 1 tin water chestnuts, finely chopped
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- Handful cilantro, finely chopped
- Handful peanuts, crushed
- Soy sauce
- Sesame oil
- Hosin sauce (optional)
Separate the cos lettuce leaves and place them in a bowl of ice water for about 2 hours (this gets them to crisp up nicely).
In a large wok, add some canola oil and stir fry the garlic, ginger and chili. Add the mushrooms, baby corn, bamboo shoots and water chestnuts and stir fry on a high heat. Add some soy sauce and mix well. Keep on a high heat so that the water released by the mushrooms reduces – the mixture should be relatively dry.
Add the cilantro and spring onion. Drizzle with sesame oil and mix well. Scoop the mixture into the lettuce cups and drizzle some hoisin sauce over the top.
Garnish with the crushed peanuts.
Do you have a recipe you would like to share with us? Visit flavacayman.com, email us at [email protected] or get in contact with us through our Facebook page.