- 1 cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 pounds ripe plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 1/4 Oloroso sherry, or sherry vinegar if unavailable
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, preferably Spanish
- 2, 1-inch thick slices of rustic bread
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, preferably Spanish
- 1/2 cucumber
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- Sea salt, to taste
For the soup:
Combine the cucumber, pepper, tomatoes, garlic, vinegar, sherry, olive oil and 2 cups water in a food processor or blender.
Work in batches if necessary.
Purée the ingredients until everything is well blended into a thick pink liquid.
Pour the gazpacho through a medium-hole strainer into a pitcher.
Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
For the garnish:
Preheat the oven to 400 F.
Cut the bread into 1 inch cubes and toss in a mixing bowl with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
Spread the bread cubes on a baking sheet and bake on the middle rack until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
Set the croutons aside to cool.
When you are ready to serve the gazpacho, dice the cucumber into cubes.
Put a few croutons, cherry tomato halves, and cucumber ribbons into each bowl and pour the gazpacho over them.
Drizzle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt.