Courtesy of Bon Vivant
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin olive oil
- ½ large onion, diced
- 4-5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1½ pound ground turkey (or substitute ground chicken)
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon organic tomato paste
- 1 (26 ounce) jar marinara sauce of choice, preferably organic
- ½ cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped kale or spinach
- 1 pound whole-wheat penne or rigatoni pasta
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions. Drain and set aside.
Heat the oil in a large skillet on medium-high. Add the onion, garlic and turkey. Cook for 8 minutes until browned. Add tomato paste and fresh tomatoes, cooking for 5 minutes. Add chopped greens and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Stir in the Italian seasoning, onion powder and garlic powder.
Stir in the marinara and simmer for 15 minutes. Add pasta and serve warm.